Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Conejos Cowboys Camp

After we were done with our visit to The Field Lab, we drove on down to the Chili Cook-Off campground behind the Terlingua Store on Highway 170. We set up camp, and I laid down for a much needed nap.

I woke up from my nap around five p.m., and we set off in search of something to eat. We thought of going into Terlingua, or Study Butte to a restaurant. As we were heading towards the highway, I thought I'd swing by the Conejos Cowboys Camp to see if they were there yet. They set up their camp in a little arroyo to the south of the stage. Sure enough, they were already set up, and had been for a couple of days.

We re-introduced ourselves, and they invited us to have supper with them. We went about making ourselves comfortable, and chatting with them for a while. Pretty soon they rang the dinner bell and we set down to eat. They were serving chicken and dumplings, and frijoles, and we dug right in. We'd had lunch with John Wells earlier that day, but we were sure hungry again.

After eating we helped them clean up a bit, then hit the ice chests for some beers. They were mighty generous to us. I decided to go over to the car and get out my old guitar, and play a bit for them, seeing as how they had fed and watered us. I always wanted to sing for my supper, and here was my chance!

I played and sang a few songs for about thirty or forty minutes, while they made the camp ready for the night. As were saying our good-byes to them, they invited us back for breakfast. They said that they'd be cooking dinner and breakfast every day, and that we were invited to join them every day. What generosity. What a great group of folks.

We joined them for breakfast the next morning, and for dinner on Friday night, and they were always welcoming, and friendly.

http://www.abowlofred.com/

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you guys had a great time at the cook-off. The Conejos seem like a great bunch of folks.

    ReplyDelete